The Liturgical Art of Kiko Arguello

by David Clayton on July 1, 2011

Here are some works by the Spanish artist Kiko Arguello (he is co- founder of the Neocatechuminal Way, the Spanish lay movement). I had never heard of him until I visited Spain about five years ago. On a tour of the cathedral in Granada, I was shown a small painting by him similar to the one shown here, left. It is obviously derived from the iconographic style, yet having a modern feel in a way that does not take away, in my opinion from the contemplative nature of the form. I have seen very few examples since and have struggled to find very many. I would love to see some more if anyone out there can point us in the right direction?

Ann Maree July 2, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Hi David,

I have been a member of the Neo Catechumenal Way and am still loosely in contact with them in my area. The beauty of their liturgical approach is very powerful in my opinion, and although the style of Kiko’s icons are not especially to my taste, I still derive much spiritual benefit from them. In our meetings we actually used some of his icons as a part of the liturgy – it would be considered incomplete without them – but we also used traditional icons not painted by Kiko, for example Rublov’s, and I think its fairly obvious that Kiko drew on these traditional icons in his own work. There was a rumour going around that Kiko trained with Picasso, which I found hard to believe, and would not have increased my respect for him anyway :P As is typical of anything NeoCat, the icons are not easily found online or outside of the Way. The following link does contain a decent collection:

my favourite is this one:

cantueso December 15, 2012 at 3:11 am

Kiko was born in 1939. Picasso lived from 1881-1973. How old would Picasso have been when he supposedly was Kiko’s teacher?
Besides, because of Franco, Picasso was not allowed to enter Spain when Kiko was a young man.

David Clayton December 17, 2012 at 7:19 am

The age difference doesn’t seem to be a problem.

William Wood Jr. July 2, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I have been enjoying your beautiful pictures pick. I have a lot to learn but it is so beautiful learning.

Patricia Wocial July 12, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Dear David,

I’ve mistakenly replied to the university on the contact us link.
I’ve written you a missal, which it would take too long to repeat, so I hope you get it.

Regards,
Patricia Wocial.

David Clayton July 13, 2011 at 9:10 am

I did Patricia, and was delighted to read it. I shall reply shortly. Thank you, David

Valletta Lino September 18, 2012 at 11:30 am

Dear David,
I am looking for a painting drawn by Kiko of Adam and Eve after they sinned. Eve is dressed in red with her hands been cut off and Adam dressed in green (without going into significanse), Jesus Christ in the middle and there are Abraham, Moses, etc.
We need this painting to use it on the invitations for our cathechesis in our parish church in Qawra Malta which are going to start 9th October. If you have it can you please email it as soon as possible to give it to our printers. Peace be with,
Lino, Responsible of 1st Community, Qawra

David Clayton September 22, 2012 at 8:25 am

Thank you for this. I am very sorry I cannot help you here. David

sampath kumar September 21, 2012 at 2:47 am

I LIKE KIKO PAINTINGS , I AM IN THE WAY IN INDIA , BANGALORE INFANT JESUS CHURCH, BY Neo Catechumenal Way , I AM SAVED, PRAISE
GOD,THANK YOU KIKO

Marta January 5, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Hallo! I am so gratefull that You foud so many Kikos ikons and have placed them here. I am on Neocatechumenal Way in Poland/ Łódź. I am writting the article about Kiko and his works and I need his early paintings,before Way. Do You know something about …where can I find that. I would be extremly thankfull.
Peace!

David Clayton January 6, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Dear Marta
I know very little more than I have included in the article and all the images have just come from the internet. I’m sorry I can’t be of more help. glad you enjoyed the article though!
Best wishes